Friday, October 29, 2010

365 Favorite Brand Name Slow Cooker Recipes & More: Country Chicken Chowder

365 Favorite Brand Name Slow Cooker Recipes & More: Country Chicken Chowder

This chowder is one of recipes that are pictured in this book. It looks creamy, savory and deliciously filling. As winter months always seem to drag on forever, I’m constantly looking for new soup or stew type recipes to keep my stomach and my taste buds happy.

Country Chicken Chowder
1 pound chicken tenders
2 tbsp. margarine or butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 rib celery, sliced
1 small carrot, sliced
1 can (10 ¾ oz.) cream of potato soup
1 cup milk
1 cup frozen corn
½ tsp. dried dill weed

First, cut the chicken into ½ in. pieces and cook until no longer pink (about 5 minutes). Add carrot, onion and celery; cook for 3 more minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients. After all the ingredients are added together you only have to cook it for 8 minutes.

Yes, you read it right… 8 minutes of cooking time. By now I think you’ve caught on that this recipe is not done in your slow cooker. But it is from a cookbook entitled slow cooker recipes. Was I sincerely disappointed after picking out this recipe that my slow cooker was not going to be used? You bet I was. While quick and easy chowder can be a blessing it certainly wasn’t what I was expecting or ready for!

When the winter months roll around there are a few things that I always keep stocked in my fridge and freezer. When I buy an onion or celery I chop the entire thing at once and freeze it. Chances are I will not use the entire thing fresh before it goes bad and most of the time I use it for soups which calls for it to be diced anyways! I also keep on hand a bag of baby carrots. They’re good for snacking, never have to be peeled and when going in the slow cooker, rarely need to be chopped, sliced or diced! They also are likely to be tenderer than full size carrots and there is nothing I hate more than a soup with under cooked carrots. Is it a quick and easy recipe? Absolutely! But my fridge and freezer shortcuts just made it that much easier.

As I was cooking it I was reminded of a very similar recipe that I use when making chicken pot pies. Especially since at the bottom of the recipe a serving suggestion is given to serve the chowder in bread bowls or with bread of some kind.

I became a little eerie about this recipe being able to stand on its own and my fears were confirmed. It smells great, it looks great, and it tastes… okay. It might replace my current recipe for the insides of a chicken pot pie but there was no denying that this recipe was lacking depth. It was indeed hearty chowder fit for the winter months but it is too bland to stand on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment