Friday, October 22, 2010

Cooking With Mickey Volume II: Nacho Cheese Dip

Cooking With Mickey Cookbook Volume II: Nacho Cheese Dip

I think I dream of nachos in my sleep and wake up drooling on my pillow!  The best recipe for a cheese dip is my mom's Texas Cheese Dip, but I search for an even better recipe constantly.  I chose the Nacho Cheese Dip from the "Cooking With Mickey Cookbook Volume II" in my quest for the ultimate recipe...did it surpass my own mothers?

Nacho Cheese Dip
from the Fiesta Fun Center Snack Bar
Disney's Contemporary Resort Disneyworld Florida
 
1/2 lb. provolone cheese, grated
1/2 lb. american cheese, grated
3/4 c. heavy cream
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. yellow food coloring
 
Melt provolone cheese in a double boiler over boiling water.  Add american cheese till all melted, then stir in heavy cream.  
Add cream cheese to the mixture and stir until all is melted and smooth.  Remove from heat and then add seasonings, worcestershire sauce and 
food coloring.
Serve with chips, crackers or veggies.
 
 
The only american cheese I know of are the "singles" you put on sandwiches and burgers.  I asked my local deli who had local cheese and imports and she said she didn't carry American cheese by the pound.  So, instead of unwrapping alot of cheese slices, I did substitute Velveeta Cheese.  First, let me explain that melting provolone over a double boiler is not easy.  This cheese has a lot of elasticity to it and is a royal pain to melt.  Adding the Velveeta actually made it easier and smoother. 



Once it starts cooling off the cheese wants to solidify, making it difficult to continue mixing it all together.  Once I forgave the cheese for at no fault of its own wanting to become a huge blob and got it all mixed together, the dip warmed me up with its flavor but had to be constantly reheated to serve.  The cayenne pepper gave it a good kick and you could taste the cream cheese come through.  I did not add the yellow food coloring as it still had a nice color and didn't feel it necessary to add more artificial ingredients.  Would I make it again? No.  Does it surpass my own mothers? Absolutely not!  Although good flavor, this was a frustrating recipe for any cook!


No comments:

Post a Comment